It is with immense pleasure and pride that Vivekananda College of Arts, Science and Commerce, recently recognized as College with Potential for Excellence by the University Grants Commission – a premier institution of Vivekananda Vidhyavardhaka Sangha Puttur ® – formerly known as Puttur Education Society and which together has more than a century’s history having been established as early as 1915 – presents itself before the third cycle of NAAC for Re-Accreditation. Vivekananda College was founded in 1965 and celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2015. These 54 years of fruitful existence has been a saga of planning and implementing; building and rebuilding; growth and progress; introspection and celebration. The NAAC Accreditation process and subsequent Peer Team visits in 2004, 2011 and now the third cycle of Re- Accreditation Process –have turned out to be a very fruitful exercise. The college has acted upon the suggestions and recommendations of the earlier peer teams and worked zestfully which resulted in necessary Quality initiatives, Quality sustenance and Enhancement measures such as introduction of Postgraduate courses, increasing use of ICT in all academic and administrative activities, making the teaching more student-centred, immense development in the infrastructure and steps taken to inculcate research culture. These measures have helped the institution to reiterate its faith in the Core Values of Higher Education. As the Vision of the institution is to mould the students into civilized, principle-centred, confident, competent and employable, nation-building youth, new measures had to be taken to keep pace with recent developments.
The college now offers fifteen combinations in five undergraduate courses and four postgraduate courses. At present, there are 110 faculty members serving in the college of whom 16 faculty members are PhD holders and 13 are MPhil holders. Sixteen staff members are pursuing their research for PhD degree and a considerable number are working on Minor/Major Research projects. There are 35 support staff members working in different departments and administrative office.
The recommendations made by the honourable members of the NAAC Peer Team during the Second cycle of Re-accreditation in 2011 have made us improve the quality of the academic and non-academic aspects in the college. Sincere efforts have been made to bring in a broader heterogeneous group into the working of this report with the inclusion of the younger generation of the faculty to ensure quality, accuracy and transparency.
The very objective of the institution is to give education as expressed by Swami Vivekananda, “Education is the manifestation of perfection already in man”.
- To involve the students, staff and other stakeholders in the overall development of the institution and the society
- To create awareness of social responsibility among the stakeholders
- To provide good career opportunities to the students
- To sensitize the students about the environmental issues and human rights
- To feel proud of our rich culture and heritage
- To inculcate scientific temperament and innovativeness in learning
- To motivate the staff and students on research activities
- To improve the skill and competence of the students to fulfil the present global requirements.
- Recognised by the UGC as the ‘College with Potential for Excellence’
- Good rapport of Principal, Staff and students
- Promotion of value-based education
- Rich exposure to eminent personalities
- Calm and quiet ambience of the college premises
- Fee concession, Scholarships and Endowment Scholarships
- Availability of Hostel facility for both boys and girls
- Annapoorna Free Midday meal scheme
- Sports ground with gallery
- Rich student support and progression activities
- Qualified staff
- Wide variety combinations
- Well-furnished and spacious Science laboratories
- Media centre & Heritage museum
- CC & EC activities beyond credit concepts
- Career-oriented and Certificate courses
- Open access system with the availability of more than 65,000 books in the College library
- Wi-Fi facility in the campus
- Free browsing centre for students in the library
- ICT-enabled seminar halls
- Health centre
- A Separate compact PG Block
- Active PTA and Alumni association
A graduate of Vivekananda College will be civilized, principle-centered, endowed with a strong self–esteem and a concern for fellow beings and the environment, besides being confident, competent and employable.
“Vivekananda College will strive to provide models of value practices, offer opportunities for learning and development, create infrastructure for interventions including those for preservation of environment and organize competence enhancement programmes through able management and committed members of the staff with the assistance of other stakeholders.’’